What is the internet?
What is the internet? The internet in a simple term is a group of millions of computers and devises that are connected and communicated to each other using a technology called networking.
Those computers and devices are using different Medias to communicate between each other; hence they are using telephone lines, coaxial cables, fiber optic lines, wireless connections and satellites.
How many ways to connect to the internet?
There are common ways to be connected to the internet:
- ISP (Internet Service Provider) via modem.
- Cable Internet.
- ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line).
- Using a mobile phone SIM card.
What are the benefits of the internet?
There are unlimited benefits you are having by using the internet such as but not limited to:
- Surfing the web seeking information.
- Online shopping.
- Send and Receive emails.
- Text and Voice chat with friends and famil.
- Watch videos, TV channels live broadcasts.
- Download music, songs, photos …etc.
- Playing online games with other people.
- Download software and applications.
- Updating devices firmware such as satellite receiver using the internet.
- And many other unlimited benefits..
How does internet work?
The answer to this question cannot be answered in a simplified way like the first question “What is the internet?”, but I will do my best to simplify it. I will start my example from your computer regardless of how did you get the internet, so your computer is connected to an ISP (Internet Service Provider) via one of the methods mentioned above, your ISP is providing you the Internet service just like many others like you and at the same time the ISP is connected to their ISP or connected directly to the internet cloud.
The Cloud basically is just like a black box, a huge network that the entire global internet is connected to. Stuff goes in, stuff comes out..
To go more into details to understand what is the internet, the global internet network is so huge, it contains huge number of hardware devices such as Routers, Servers, Modems, Satellites, Microwave links and many others, those hardware devices are programmed and configured using certain protocols to help provide the internet services through the networks they are making.
How to use the internet?
You can use an Internet browser software such as Internet Explorer (which comes with Microsoft Windows), Safari Explorer (comes with apple Macintosh), Mozilla Firefox explorer, Google Chrome explorer and many other internet exploring tools you may download for FREE from the internet in case you are using PC or Laptop. If you are using a mobile phone or tablets to use the internet you may use their own internet explorer application.
How safe is the Internet?
To complete the answer for what is the internet we have to talk about security, the internet is not always safe, there are always threats everybody is usually trying to avoid, threats like computer viruses, hackers, porn websites, untrusted websites … etc. So to be safe you need to have the below general tips in concederation:
- A good Antivirus program and firewall installed on your PC and always updated.
- An anti keylogger tool to protect your self from hackers. Download FREE 15days trial Zemana Antilogger “Best Worldwide“
- Be sure not to enter any personal info such as credit card number into any website unless otherwise you are sure the website is liable and trusted,
- Do not send personal info via emails, chats etc..
- Do not chat with someone you don’t know.
- Do not open emails and email attachments sent by someone you don’t know.
Note: For more deep details on how to secure yourself please refer to the below links: Keyloggers? what are they? (Very important for your safety !!! Read it !!)
Note: For more deep details on how to secure yourself please refer to the below links:
Keyloggers? what are they? (Very important for your safety !!! Read it !!)
If you find this article answered your question “what is the internet?”, you may want to bookmark my website for further tutorials, tips, tricks, and FREE stuff to download.
You may check my DealingWithWindows.com website’s other tutorials from the above buttons related to Microsoft Windows tutorials, Tools and Software tutorials, Hardware and Software tutorials, Networking and Security tutorials..